2006-01-19

Google Earth for Linux?

Getting Google Earth to run on Linux is apparently a pain in the ass. I say "apparently" because I haven't even tried. My hardware isn't powerful enough.

However, there is some potentially good news ahead. I hear that the Mac version isn't built with Cocoa, but is linked to libqt instead. That's a good sign that Google may be preparing to release a Linux port. Yay for those with semi-modern hardware!

In the meantime, there is an open-source app called WW2D that might interest you. It's not 3D like Google Earth: therefore not as cool. But, unlike GE, it has plugin support, user-configurable layers, an unlimited cache, can work offline with cached data, and has binaries for Linux, OS X and Windows.

I still don't think my hardware could handle it, but I imagine anything faster than 1GHz would do okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home