2006-05-03

Why I might dual-boot to Windows (some day)

Spore.

The buzz on this game started over a year ago, and it looks like EA is shooting for a February 2007 release date. If you haven't heard of it, this Google video should give you an idea.

Some time this year I hope to set this PC on fire and buy a new one. It's a bit old, you see, and though the dials and oscilloscope do look nifty, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of running something like Spore on it. Besides, there are other games I've been itching to play for a while now (like Half-Life 2) that also won't run on my current hardware.

Still, even with an upgrade, most commercial game developers aren't writing software for Linux. The better ones do eventually release their source code and game fans port it over, but generally the selection of current games for Linux sucks. After upgrading, I might just get a copy of Win-XP so I can play a few of the games not available for Linux.

As much as it galls me to buy an operating system when I have a perfectly good and and superior free one, I'm trying to look at Windows like a game console. We bought Playstations without being struck by lightning, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home