2006-07-16

Google Earth for Linux

I don't give a poot about Picasa, so I never really noticed when Google released a version of it for Linux in February. They didn't port it, they bundled it with a tweaked version of WINE. Good on them for making it simple for Linux users to install.

As far as I'm concerned, the real news is buried in the Picasa FAQ page. It sounds like they're at work on porting Google Earth over, not using WINE but rewriting it to run natively.
"If Picasa for Linux is successful, then other Google applications (and future versions of Picasa) may also be ported using Wine. (Google Earth won't be one of them, though; it will be a native Linux application.)"

I have just one thing to say about that.

YAY!

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Johnny VW said...

I see you update your blog about as often as I do! LOL

Hey Brother! I was geeking about and found Google Earth for Linux! (http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html)

They finally did it! I have it installed on my Ubuntu 6.06 box (AMD T-Bird 1.4/1GB RAM), but my video card is older than dirt and I can't get the 3D acceleration working (ATI Rage Pro 3D 8MB). It's a bit slow, but works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home