2007-02-16

Learning stuff, need advice

A timeline for folks who don't read my other blog (don't feel bad, because I don't read it either):
  • Last June I was injured at work.

  • I still hurt.

  • Worker's Compensation (WCB), for obvious reasons, wants me to go away.

  • Their policy is to see me employed at my pre-injury wage before they cut me off.

  • My most recent wage was exceptionally good.

  • I can't earn that same wage doing brainless labour any longer, because of the injury.

  • There aren't many ways to earn that wage doing light-duty work, but there are some.

  • WCB had two choices: Help me find light-duty work, or let me try to convince them that I'm a good candidate for retraining.

  • I convinced them. Yay!
As sucky as it is to have an injury that refuses to go away, this is a golden opportunity. After being Joe Lunchbox for most of my working life, getting the chance to retrain and having them pay for all of it, along with living expenses, is like winning a lottery to me. I liked some of the grunt work I've done over the years, but if I have one regret it's that I didn't go to school before starting a family, when I had the chance.


Because you're reading about it here, at Galootix, you can probably guess what line of work I'm training for. Programming or, more specifically, web programming.

This is so fucking cool.

They said "pick a school."

WCB strongly hinted that they'd be really happy if I chose BCIT because they'd dealt with them a lot in the past. I wanted to go with O'Reilly Learning, mainly because I've never picked up an O'Reilly book that didn't teach me something. I have craploads of respect for them.

Gambling, because I only had one shot to convince them, I proposed O'Reilly.

WCB said, "Well, we really want you to get a diploma or a certificate."

I said, "How about four?"

They said, "Four? You've only got six months before we cut you off. Are you sure? It'll take that long to get one through BCIT."

I said, "Yeah, what else do I have to do but sit on my ass all day? Besides, if you're paying, I'm gonna cram as much into my skull as I can without my eyes bleeding."

They said, "Alright. Want a laptop, too? And cable for half a year?"

Heh. "Yeah! One of those Ferrari laptops?"

"Don't push it."


Oh, hey, I titled this post Learning stuff, need advice, didn't I? You were wondering when I'd get to the point.

Here are the courses I'm taking.
  1. HTML and CSS

  2. Introduction to PHP

  3. PHP/SQL 1: Introduction to Database Programming

  4. CGI with Perl

  5. SQL Databasing

  6. Introduction to XML

  7. JavaScript 1: Introduction to JavaScript

  8. JavaScript 2: AJAX

  9. Learn Object-Oriented Programming using Java

  10. Unix for Web Programming

  11. Linux/Unix System Administration 1: The Unix File System

  12. Linux/Unix System Administration 2: Networking and DNS

  13. Linux/Unix System Administration 3: Unix Services

  14. Linux/Unix System Administration 4: Scripting for Administrators Sed, Awk, and Perl

I'm just finishing the HTML/CSS one (started with the easiest one I could). I'm thinking of taking them in the order listed. My question to you, Internet people, is "do you think this is the right, as in 'easiest and most efficient', order?" Would you rearrange things, or is that about right? Assume I know nothing. It's almost true.

I've listed the Linux/Unix courses last because they're really sort of peripheral to my goals, and I've already picked up dribs and drabs on my own, anyway. I'm not in a hurry to cover the material.

Thoughts?


(Hot diggity, this is exciting!)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Blogger MeanMrMustard said...

I think the order is pretty good, generally. I'm not sure that I agree that CGI is the best environment in which (or for which) to learn Perl; Perl's CGI capabilities are kind of a bolt-on, and I'd hate to have anyone think, even for a little while, that CGI is what Perl is for.

CGI is what PHP is for, and it does it pretty well (with some major annoyances, which we can talk about later). In fact, I can't imagine anyone choosing to use PHP for anything but CGI. Perl, on the other hand, is an incredibly useful language for all kinds of non-CGI tasks. Unfortunately, you don't get to see that until your last class.

Can you tell I love Perl?

All of that said, congratulations! Keep us posted on how things go.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger MeanMrMustard said...

Oh, more thoughts. It's nice that there's one Java course in the middle there, but I'm not sure what the point is. If it's truly to "learn object-oriented programming," you can do that adequately in PHP5; it supports most or all of the important concepts (interfaces, inheritance, encapsulation, scoping, etc.). If the point is to learn Java for the web ... well, I suppose you could get some applet training in there, but in all honesty, today Flash is much more likely to be your environment of choice for writing downloadable interactive components. You might be better off looking that direction. (And again, much like Perl, I love Java.)

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger MeanMrMustard said...

Of course, the Java people have some choice comments about reliance on Flash, many of them justified. Just forget I brought it all up. I'll stop spamming you now.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Galoot said...

MMM said: "It's nice that there's one Java course in the middle there, but I'm not sure what the point is."

The point is to make the WCB happy and come away with a certificate (oooooo (<--sarcasm)) so they feel they're getting their money's worth. That Java bit is part of the Open Source cert. If I were to pick and choose based on what I really want rather than on certificates, I'd probably have chosen differently.

As for your thoughts on perl, I don't know a lot, but I've been using Linux long enough to know you're right. I wouldn't mistake it for a cgi language any more than I'd mistake a car for a house. You could live in one, but it does so much more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home