2007-02-06

Mixed news

Good news: I'm typing this on my new laptop! That's pretty nifty for a guy whose first real calculator came with a belt pouch.
Bad news: This "Designed for Windows XP" label is rubbing against the little bone on the side of my wrist.

...Pardon me. Was.

Good news: I'll be adding Linux soon enough.
Bad news: I'll need access to IE, so I can't replace XP outright. I'll be stuck dual-booting.

Good news: I don't need access to IE that often.
Bad news: No more bad news.

Strange news: I'm typing this using Firefox. I haven't installed Opera, and even when I do I don't think I'll use it very much. (I wonder if Larry reads Galootix.) I'm going to miss a few things Opera did for me, but I think FF's going to offer a degree of flexibility I've never had before. With any luck, it won't be too too long before I can change something if I don't like it. Heh. Yeah.

What I'll miss most of all is Opera's mail client. I love it. Getting used to folders again (Thunderbird, not Outlook) will take some doing. Oh well. I've got lots of time.

P.S. Argh. I use XChat for IRC. Unlike the Linux version, the Windows version isn't free. :(

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger MeanMrMustard said...

Dual-booting isn't the end of the world. But I'm told you can run IE fine in Wine. I've never succeeded, of course. Oh well.

As for XChat, seems there are some free Windows builds. Check here for starters. Yay for the GPL!

(I won't tell anyone about you and Firefox. Opera need never know.)

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Galoot said...

Hey, thanks mmm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home